Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Thanks to the Dallas Area Writers Group

Last week, as I mentioned in the first post, I was invited to speak at the Dallas Area Writers Group (DAWG) meeting on May 13. They meet at the Cedar Hill Library (Zula Bryant Wylie Library) on Cedar Street. Yep, lots of 'Cedar' names all over the place.

I visit the group two or three times each year as part of a critique panel, but it's been several years since I spoke solo to the group. Over the years, the regulars have become more friends than audience, and they are warm and welcoming to new members. If you're on the south side of Dallas or mid-cities, they're just off Highway 67. A couple of members drive all the way from Mexia. Go by the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm and make some new writer friends.

Since I was talking in part about social media, I had to walk the walk myself. Here's a photo from the back of the room.
Thanks to the Dallas Area Writers Group
Speakers: Always take photos from the back of the room and your 1000-head filter to make it look like you have, well, a 1000 people hanging on your every word.

Notice the microphone to my right, and the video camera to my left, or in this case, in front of my left shoulder. Here's a better look at the microphone:
Thanks to the Dallas Area Writers Group
This isn't my best microphone, but it's the prettiest. Most speakers don't use such an obtrusive mic, but I was making a point. Plus, I use the mic for recording music, not just speeches, and large diaphragm condenser mics are great for recording strings.

Stay tuned for video and audio clips from that speech and others.

If you want more details about the recording equipment, leave a note in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment